What is a GWTA Champion?
Join our League of Extrodinary Waterfront Trail Champions and helping us raise funds to complete, enhance, and promote the Waterfront Trail. Donations and money raised through fundraising efforts will go towards closing gaps, like the recently announced project in Whitby, enhancing and expanding the Waterfront Trail, and improved signage.
Everyone is welcome to take part by donating directly to the Waterfront Regeneration Trust and/or registering as a fundraiser for the Great Waterfront Trail Adventure, a GWTA Champion.These registrants will be responsible for paying a $300 entry fee, including a jersey, and raising an additional $1,000 by July 12th, 2017.
People who chose to donate to your fundraising efforts can do so through a CanadaHelps Fundraising Page that you can set up and personalize with pictures and messages. Information about how to set up your CanadaHelps page is below.
How to Set up a Canada Helps Fundraising Page
Thank you for becoming a Waterfront Trail Champion! We appreciate your support and hope that your campaign is rewarding as you help us to complete, expand and enhance the Waterfront Trail.
What is a “Fundraiser” page?
A "Fundraiser " is your own personal fundraising micro-website that is hosted by CanadaHelps. CanadaHelps is an organization that the Waterfront Regeneration Trust works with to accept online credit card donations using their safe and secure website. A Fundraiser Page provides you with an opportunity to tell your friends and family about the Waterfront Trail, why you’re cycling and make their donation/pledge online. Your supporters can simply click to donate and their donation will go directly to the Waterfront Regeneration Trust. CanadaHelps immediately issues the charitable tax receipt to the donor.
Create a Fundraiser:
• Go to the following link at CanadaHelps -- https://www.canadahelps.org/en/
• Click on “Create a Fundraiser” located under "Fundraise" tab at the top of the page
• You will be asked to sign in. If you don't have an account. Click "create one" on the right hand side of the page.
• Enter your email and a password and you are registered with CanadaHelps! You are now able to set-up your personal Fundraiser.
Steps to Complete the Fundraiser:
• Select “Create a Fundraising Page”.
• This will direct you to the Fundraising content form where you can fill in the information people will see when they visit your Fundraiser Page.
Enter the following information on the Fundraiser Form
Selected Charity = Waterfront Regeneration Trust
Type of fundraiser--scroll to Sporting Event.
Enter the name of the sporting event and the participant's name = Your Name 2017 Waterfront Trail Champion"
Enter the Title of your fundraiser = 2017 Great Waterfront Trail Adventure
Start date = your choice
End date = July 12, 2017
Goal Amount = $1000
Page owner = Your Name
• Under “Your Fundraising Story” write about what you are doing and why they should be supporting you and the Waterfront Trail (500 characters maximum). Tell your own story and post pictures to personalize your fundraising page.
Here’s a sample message:
"This summer I will ride the Great Waterfront Trail Adventure as a Waterfront Trail Champion. I will be raising funds to help complete, expand and enhance the Waterfront Trail. Please give generously as the Waterfront Trail is an important part of regenerating our Great Lakes waterfront.
All proceeds will go towards helping the Waterfront Regeneration Trust’s crucial work to build the Trail. Visitwww.waterfronttrail.org for more information about the work of the Waterfront Regeneration Trust charity. My personal fundraising goal is $________.
[If you are raising money for a specific Waterfront Trail project, you can explain a little bit about the project]
Thank you in advance for your generosity!"
• Once completed, you can view your Fundraiser Page and share your page with your family and friends by clicking on the “share/save” tab on your page
• “Fundraising Goal”. It is optional to display your fundraising goal on your personal Fundraising Page. The benefit of having it displayed is that it encourages people to help you raise more funds.
• Under “Display Donations”, you can choose whether or not to show a list of donors and donations on your webpage.
• Click the box beside “Donation Email Alerts” if you want to be alerted via email each time a donation is made.
• Under “Page Expiry Date” enter the date that you would like the page to expire. We suggest leaving the Fundraising Page active until a month after the event finishes to allow for late donations.
• Post a Photo on your Giving Page! When setting up your page, you will be given the option to upload a picture for your page. If you would like to include a photo, you will need to have access to the photo from your computer. Pictures should be in jpg or gif format. Images larger than 300 pixels (roughly 4.17”) wide or tall will be shrunk to fit.
How do I edit my Fundraising Page?
1. Go to www.canadahelps .org
2. Under “Fundraise”, Click on “Find a Fundraiser” button.
3. Click on "Manage Fundraising Page" in the middle box.
4. Enter your email address and password.
5. Click on the “Manage” tab to edit your page
What if I Don't Meet my Fundraising Target
Thank you for your support! Best of luck with your fundraising as a Waterfront Trail Champion!