Prince Edward County
A bending and curving shoreline, vast marshes and wetlands and the largest freshwater dune system in the world at Sandbanks are just some of the natural treasures you will enjoy in the County. There are also plenty of beautiful small country towns to enjoy each with excellent shops and restaurants. The Loyalist Parkway Association has developed self-guided brochures for those who want to learn about the region's early settlement over 200 years ago.
- Entering from Brighton/Quinte West along County Road 64, there are no shoulders and some rough road conditions
- Trail Follows the Loyalist Parkway (HWY 33) which has wide paved shoulders. Caution needed since speed limit is 80 km/h. A smooth surface and scenic vistas make this a preferable route for cyclists.
- Moderately hilly
- Sandbanks Provincial Park is not on the Trail proper (just a 10 minute drive from Bloomfield along County Rd 12), but is definitely worth the trip
PEC's Trail ends at Glenora where you can take a ferry to Aldophustown and continue along the Waterfront Trail through Greater Napanee
Main Access Points (with parking)
- Carrying Place
A worthwhile connection between Trenton and Belleville can be found on Rednersville Rd (County Rd 3), which runs along the northern shore of the County. This route runs from Carrying Place to Bay Bridge Rd, a bridge which connects the County and Belleville. This route can be seen on the County's interactive map: www.pec.on.ca/other/maps.php Click on "cycling routes" in the menu on the left side of the page to display cycling routes on the map.
Resources, Local Maps and Connecting Trails
Prince Edward County Tourism has identified a few cycling itineraries. Turn by turn directions as well as maps and interpretive information can be found on the following website:
Millennium Trail runs along an old railway line and is best suited to hikers, ATV's and snowmobiles. The surface is loose gravel making it a very rough ride for cyclists. There are long-range plans to pave and separate motorized-vehicular use from pedestrians and cyclists. Once accomplished, this Trail will be designated as the off-road Waterfront Trail.
County has an extensive network of cycling and other trails. Visit
- Regional Tourism Organization
- Prince Edward County Tourism
- Prince Edward County Chamber of Tourism and Commerce
- Loyalist Parkway Association
- Quinte Conservation Authority
- Municipality of Prince Edward County
- Nature Stuff