We are accepting applications
for volunteers who would like to be an integral part
of the Fifth Annual GWTA from July 13-22, 2012. Volunteers are critical to setting the mood of the GWTA and establishing a warm sense of community. Our volunteers must be friendly and outgoing, enjoy dealing with people and able to work as a team. Volunteers will be selected in December 2011.
Cycling guides: Are experienced riders willing to serve as ambassadors and help ensure the safety and enjoyment of the participants. They know the rules of the road, are familiar with all or a part of the Waterfront Trail route, are fit enough to handle the physical demands of riding for 8 consecutive days of over 100km a day, as well as lifting 50 pound bags. They must have a valid driver's license and be prepared to drive when/if needed. Specific duties will include: marshalling the route, taking your turn as lead, rover, or sweep rider, provide mechanical and basic first aid support, assist participants with wayfinding, help load and unload the luggage truck.
Baggage Volunteers (2): Are strong, enthusiatic, experienced riders who are willing to take responsibility for loading and unloading the luggage truck in exchange for the volunteer perks and priviledges. They must have a valid driver's license.
Driving Team Volunteers: These experienced drivers are over 25 years of age with an excellent driving record. Are comfortable driving 15-passenger vans with a trailer and 24' cargo trucks. Duties for driving volunteers include:
Support Van with Trailer--filling water jugs and providing support to participants; encouraging and cheering on participants at stop points along the route. Shuttle cycling participants as needed. May be required to marshal the route. Carefully load bikes into support vans and on the trailer. Must have excellent sense of direction and navigation skills.
Luggage Truck driver: Primary duties are to drive the luggage truck from base camp to base camp, and help set up the information tent and associated rider amenities.
Ideal candidates will have the following:
- Be available for the scheduled tour dates July 13-22, 2012 (July 14 is the tour start)
- First Aid/CPR
- Basic knowledge of bicycle mechanics
- Ability to read maps, understand/learn logistics
and safety aspects of a guided tour
- Be available for a training session at the beginning of June 2012
- Have great customer service attitude experience
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Initiative to perform tasks where needed
- Excitement & enthusiasm about cycling, the waterfront
All volunteers will receive:
- Free end to end registration.
- Accommodations (camping as part of the tour)
- Waterfront Map book
- Discount on the price of a commemorative dri-fit t-shirt.
- Discounted meal plan
- Return transportation from the finish to Toronto or Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Be a part of the 5th GWTA, experience new
communities and meet new friends!!!
- Please send your contact
information along with the Volunteer Form to firstname.lastname@example.org, (Subject Line: Volunteer application) and check out the website for more information.www.waterfronttrail.org
All volunteers must complete a waiver
form in order to participate in the 2012 Great Waterfront